Friday, January 15, 2010

Speckled Band Reflection

“The Adventure of the Speckled Band” was a short story in the Sherlock Holmes series. The story is written in a first person narrative by a Dr. Watson. Watson acts as the participating narrator throughout the series and is the reader’s sole descriptor of Sherlock Holmes and his investigation.
This story acts as a conventional detective story by foreshadowing facts that seem ordinary at first, but ultimately come back to be invaluable clues to solving the crime in question. The story contains the stereotypical mad doctor and also the deranged victim. For me, Sherlock Holmes stories have set the bar for detective dramas. The story usually builds and builds until the final sequence, where the culprit is caught and all the facts come out. This is how the speckled band story ended, with the identification of the murderer and an explanation of how all the clues pointed to him.
I did not originally expect the story to end the way it did. I thought there would be more twists and turns rather than having the most obvious person commit the crime. Many of the clues that were present seemed unconventional to me. The saucer of milk and a vault are two things which drove me away from concluding that a snake was the murder weapon. I did not realize that snakes drink milk nor did I realize that they could survive in an air tight vault
I haven’t really read too many detective stories. I’ve seen a lot of movies about detectives, which is probably why I expected the twists and turns that were not present in “The Adventure of the Speckled Band”.

No comments:

Post a Comment